NO. 633 OLD FOLSOM POWERHOUSE
In the 1850s, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E., pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Powerhouse, which began operations in July 1895. Power was delivered to Sacramento at 11,000 volts, a new achievement in long-distance high-voltage transmission which the capital celebrated by a grand electric carnival September 9, 1895. The original generating plant, still in place, remained in continuous operation until 1952. The plant was donated by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to the State of California to preserve its historical values.
Folsom Powerhouse State Park, Greenback Lane, Folsom
NO. 633-2 OLD FOLSOM POWERHOUSE--SACRAMENTO STATION A
The first distribution point of electricity for a major city, Station A was constructed in 1894 by the Sacramento Electric Power and Light Company to receive power generated from Folsom Powerhouse. The first transmission of electricity was on July 13, 1895. This power distribution network resulted in the first overhead wire streetcar system in the Central Valley.
NE corner of 6th and H Streets, Sacramento
The Folsom Powerhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1981) as being significant in the areas of engineering and industry on the national level. It has been said that it represented a momentous advance in the science of generating and transmitting electricity. In 1895 the facility brought high-voltage alternating current over long distance transmission lines for the first time. It is also a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (1975), a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark (1976) and is designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 633 (1958).