Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
Parks Title

Special Events


Folsom Image

Special Events are activities which are beyond the normal scope of activities and operations conducted in units under control of California State Parks.  Consistent with existing state policies and laws, District Superintendents may approve by permit a Special Event when it is found to be in the best interest of the Department and is conducted by an appropriate sponsor at no net expense to the state.  Special Event Permits are required for any activity within the State Park System which meet any of these criteria, and which occur wholly or partially within or on any property owned, operated, or administered by the Department.  Upon a finding by the District Superintendent that a special event is consistent with the unit’s use, he/she may issue a Special Event Permit for such use.  Special Events held in units of the State Park System should be compatible and in keeping with the classification of the specific park unit.

  • Please submit Special Event Permit Applications at least 45 (forty-five) days in advance of the date of the special event.
  • Special Event Permit Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis and are accepted up to 1 year in advance of the date of the Special Event.
  • Prime dates sell-out early and there is a limit to the number of events that can be held on any given day and/or at any given location.
  • There is a non-refundable $50 filing fee that must accompany each Special Event Permit Application.
  • Special Event Permit Applications are not considered filed unless and until they have been filled out in their entirety and State Parks has received the $50 filing fee.
  • Most Special Events will require the sponsor/promoter to carry insurance for the event.  Refer to the Special Event Permit Application for details or speak with State Park staff.
  • Alcoholic Beverages may be permitted at Special Events under certain conditions.  Please see the section of the Permit Application dealing with Alcoholic Beverages or speak with State Park staff.
  Special Event Application Form    (California State Parks - Gold Fields District)

For questions or additional information you may contact Laura Dennis, Special Event Coordinator, Folsom Lake State Recreation Area at  or (916) 988-0205.