Campground open all year. Day use areas open sunrise to sunset.
Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area
Max. Trailer Lengths
Trailer: 24 Feet
Camper/Motorhome: 27 Feet
Driving Directions to Standish-Hickey SRA
Camping and Lodging
Online reservations are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Reservations can be made 7 months in advance on the first day of the month beginning at 8:00 a.m. PST via the website, by mail, or by calling the toll free telephone number at 1-800-444-7275. Due to seasonal volume, access to the ReserveAmerica website and the telephone line may at times be limited.Online Reservations
Brochures and Campground Maps
Upcoming Park Events
No events scheduled at this moment.
Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area is the southern gateway to the world-famous redwood belt along California’s North Coast. About 10 miles of trails weave through its steep canyon bluffs, second-growth forests, and clusters of old-growth redwoods. The tallest redwood, the 225-foot Captain Miles Standish Tree, is more than 1,200 years old. A two-mile stretch of the South Fork of the Eel River—with riffles, deep holes, and calm shallow areas—is popular with swimmers, kayakers, and anglers.
The park began as a 40-acre campground donated in 1922. Its name honors a lumberman’s son, Edward Ritter Hickey, who died while caring for victims of the 1918 flu epidemic. In the late 1950s, descendants of Captain Miles Standish, a pilgrim who landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620, added 500 acres. Subsequent donations from Save the Redwoods League have expanded the park to more than 1,000 acres.
A 180-mile drive from San Francisco, Standish-Hickey lies along Highway 101, 1½ miles north of the town of Leggett. The park entrance road is easy to find and paved to accommodate any street-legal vehicle. High water (and removal of seasonal bridges) makes much of the park inaccessible in winter, but at least one campground is always open.
This inland river canyon has summer temperatures averaging 70 - 100°F. Winter temperatures vary from 30 - 55°F. Rainfall averages 70 inches each year.
Rules & Advisories
At the "gateway to the tall trees country," the area offers camping, picnicking, hiking, fishing, and swimming on the South Fork of the Eel River which winds through the park for almost two miles. One of the few virgin redwood stands remaining in this area can be seen on the Grove Trail.
Standish-Hickey began as a campground acquired by the Save-the-Redwoods League in 1922. In the late 1950’s, the Standish family donated over five hundred acres, and additional acquisitions through the years have increased the park’s total acreage. The park was named to honor Edward Ritter Hickey, son of a local lumberman, who died of influenza while caring for the victims of the epidemic of 1918.
1.5 miles north of Leggett, CA on Highway 101.
Inland river canyon.
Summer 70-100 degrees F.
Winter 30-55 degrees F.
Dress for rain in layers.
Available Activities and Facilities at Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area
Hike or Bike Campsites
Restrooms / Showers
Drinking Water Available