Day Use: 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Camping: All Hours, March through November
Calaveras Big Trees State Park
California State Parks Fire Management, in cooperation with CAL FIRE conducted a prescribed burn in the North Grove Area at Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Smoke will remain in the area for several weeks and trails may continue to stay closed.
The iconic North Grove Trail is being improved. Trail work is expected to last throughout the summer. The trail is currently closed from approximately sign post 7 to sign post 15. You can still see the Discovery Stump, largest tree in the grove, and access other trails in the North Grove Area.
COVID-19 Guidelines (February 16, 2022)
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
- Be COVID-19 Safe – State Parks continues to meet guidance from local and state public officials as COVID-19 is still present and still deadly. Effective March 1, 2022, state guidance recommends that all individuals, regardless of vaccine status, continue masking in indoor settings, such as museums and visitor centers. Universal masking remains required in specified high-risk settings. Please plan ahead as local county guidelines may differ from state guidance and visitors are urged to follow county guidelines when required. Read the latest COVID-19 guidance at COVID19.ca.gov.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
Welcome to Calaveras Big Trees State Park!
Established in 1931, Calaveras Big Trees State Park preserves two groves of giant sequoias - the world's largest trees - in the North and South Groves. The park is a mixed-conifer forest (a variety of trees living together). In addition to the giant trees, you will find the Stanislaus River, Beaver Creek, ancient volcanic formations, and natural meadows. Trails throughout the park allow you to discover the natural beauty that has awed visitors to the area since 1852.
Explore Big Trees
Park Entrance Station: (209) 795-2334
Visitor Center: (209) 795-3840
Interpretation & Education Office: (209) 795-7980