Carlsbad State Beach
California State Parks is actively working with local, state and federal entities in assessing San Diego beaches and lagoons in relation to the oil spill that initiated in Orange County.
At this time, state beaches in San Diego remain open. Please use caution when visiting them as we expect to see oiled materials and tarballs wash up on the beaches, and individuals are advised not to handle or ingest any oil materials. If you do see oil or tarballs on the beach, please report them to email@example.com. Also, if you locate oiled wildlife, do not touch the animal and report the finding to the oiled wildlife care network at 877-823-6926.
For additional information on the oil spill itself, visit www.SoCalSpillResponse.com.
What is open now?
- The state beach is open for active and passive recreation.
- Restrooms and parking areas are open for use.
- Face coverings are required when unable to maintain 6-foot physical distance
- Day-use fees may be paid through the automated pay machines installed at the park.
- California Explorer Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass (Hangtag):
- May be purchased in person at Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve South Beach Kiosk. Note: Passes will not be sold on rainy days at Torrey Pines.
- May be purchased in person at Seaside (South Cardiff) Lot, Cardiff State Beach on weekends from noon to sunset.
- May be purchased online and picked up at Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve 7 days a week (except rainy days) or at Seaside Lot, Cardiff State Beach on weekends. Note: More details about quick pass pick up here or text ca1131 to 53242.
- May be purchased online at the California State Parks Store for delivery to your home or office.
- The Limited Use Golden Bear Pass expiration date has been extended to March 31, 2021. All other terms and conditions of the pass remain in effect.
- Yoga classes are being held at Frazee beach. Schedules and fees can be found on the Carlsbad Village Athletic Club (CVAC) website.
- Volleyball courts at Warm Waters and Frazee are open for limited use with the following guidelines:
- Players from the same family or household unit can play, but pick-up and multiple family unit games continue to be prohibited per the San Diego County Public Health Order and industry guidance.
- Volleyball courts are concession operated. More information about existing schedules, reservations and court availability can be found on the Carlsbad Village Athletic Club (CVAC) website.
- Youth programs that meet San Diego County and State public health criteria may be permitted through Carlsbad Village Athletic Club (CVAC).
- Current schedules and court rules are posted on the volleyball poles.
- The southernmost court at each court location, Warm Waters and Pine Street is open for free play on a first-come, first-served basis (for household unit play only).
What is currently closed?
- Group activities and athletics are permitted for household use only.
- Park amenities such as drinking fountains are closed. Bring water with you.
- Group gatherings are not permitted.
- The San Diego Coast District and Sector offices are currently closed.
Protect yourself, family, friends and your community by following these prevention measures:
- Know Before You Go – Prior to leaving home, check the status of the park unit you want to visit to find out what restrictions and guidelines are in place. Have a back-up plan in case your destination is crowded. Stay home if you are sick
- Plan Ahead – Some restrooms will be temporarily closed to keep up with cleaning schedules. Bring soap/hand sanitizer.
- Play It Safe – Find out what precautions you should take when exploring the outdoors, especially if this is your first time visiting the State Park System. Learn more at parks.ca.gov/SafetyTips.
Be COVID-19 Safe– State Parks continues to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health:
- Fully Vaccinated Persons: Face coverings are not required in public outdoor settings.For indoor public settings, such as museums and visitor centers, all vaccinated individuals are to self-attest that they are in compliance prior to entry.
- Unvaccinated Persons: Face coverings are required in indoor public settings such as museums and visitor centers.
- Leave No Trace – Leave areas better than how you found them by staying on designated trails and packing out all trash. Do not disturb wildlife or plants.
Carlsbad State Beach is located on the San Diego Coast. It offers swimming, surfing, scuba diving, fishing and beachcombing. This small beach is located at the foot of coastal bluffs, south of the town on Carlsbad.
Location - Directions
The beach is located from Carlsbad Boulevard, Highway S21 at Pine Ave. to Cannon Rd. in Carlsbad.