More than 100 Volunteers Honored for Contributions to State Parks
Volunteers are vital to California State Parks. More than 36,000 dedicated volunteers help to make State Parks a success.
The first volunteers served more than 100 years ago. Today they put in more than 1 million hours of service annually. They help in dozens of ways, interpretation, public contact, public safety, park operations, park equipment maintenance park administration and natural and cultural resource protection.
While all volunteers are valued, some are singled out annually for exemplary service by the Director and the districts in which they serve.
In 2018, California State Parks honored 111 volunteers for their service through the presentation of Poppy and Medallion Awards.
A total of 24 volunteers were presented with Medallion Awards for Superior Achievement, the highest honor, to individual volunteers or teams of volunteers who made a significant contribution towards the mission and goal of the Department worthy of recognition by the California State Parks Director. Poppy Awards for Exemplary Volunteer Service were presented to 87 volunteers for significant contributions to the betterment of Parks.
These award programs are year-round opportunities to recognize Parks’ most exemplary volunteers. Thank you for all our hard working and devoted volunteers.
The 2018 awardees are as follows:
- Anza-Borrego Desert SP: Robert Keeley, Sandra Keeley
- Armstrong Redwoods SNR: Barbara Hoffman
- Armstrong Redwoods SNR & Sonoma Coast SP: Joan Bacci
- Carpinteria SB: Arthur and Jeanine Lewis
- Division of Boating and Waterways (Dockwalker Program): Charlie Duncan
- Empire Mine SHP: Barbara Jarvis
- Hearst Castle: Manya Brett, Vanna Clegg, Anita Judd
- Humboldt Redwoods SP: Cathy Mathena
- Mount Diablo SP: Carol Lane, Conrad Lowry, Jerry Schweickert
- Mount San Jacinto SP: Carl Maple
- Point Sur SHP: Todd Bullman, John O’Neil, Douglas Williams
- Sonoma Coast SP: Hollis Bewley
- Sutter’s Fort SHP: Judy Prey, Geri Royer, Joseph Waltz, Annette Webster
- Anza-Borrego Desert SP: Jon Gilbert, Terry Hunefeld, Birgit Knorr, Bill Parker, Nancy Parker, Gabriel Vogeli
- Armstrong Redwoods SNR: Dori Heath
- Calaveras Big Trees SP: Dan Mertens & Sally First, Bob Mergl
- Carpinteria SB: Mareda Cegielski, Tex Dunalp, Chelle Feldman, Carol and Bill Fetzer, Cherly & Doug Hammer, Mary Hernandez, Andy Jordan, Forrest Marsh, Mary Marsh, Fran Teutimez
- Clear Lake SP: Pam Harrison, Phil Harrison
- Colonel Allensworth SHP: Emmett Harden, Hazel Kennedy
- Columbia SHP: Janis Cargill
- Empire Mine SHP: Bill Blount, Jim Coe, Frank Hamlin, Troy Hammer, Jay Hansell
- Folsom Lake SRA: Lance Autry, Joell Hall
- Greenwood SB: Prue Wilson
- Hearst Castle: Dave Babcock, Edward Korte, Sophie Korte
- Henry W. Coe SP: Teddy Goodrich
- MacKerricher SP: Hazel Vagle
- Malakoff Diggins SHP: Judy Arbuckle, Annamarie Rivera
- Mendocino Headlands SP: Dermot & Marietta O’Kelly
- Montano de Oro SP: Gordon Kessler
- Morro Bay SP: Steve Raney
- Mount Diablo SP: Daniel J. Fitzgerald, Jennifer Roe, Shima S. Sakata
- Mount San Jacinto SP: Richard Martinez
- Old Town San Diego SHP: Sergia Castellanos, Larry Edwards, Nelda Harris, Kahla Oteo, Ginny Pence, Patrick Rogers, Jeana Skinner
- Point Lobos SNR: Sue Addleman
- Point Sur SHP: Marilyn Higbie. Susan Mar & Cathy Seyferth, Connie Masotti, Linda Rath
- Red Rock Canyon SP: Louis Figueroa, Jr.
- Richardson Grove SP: Charles Cooper
- Santa Susanna Pass SHP: Ray & Ann Vincent
- Sinkyone Wilderness SP: Carla Thomas
- Sonoma SHP: Yvonne Bowers, Ron Chapman, Carol Lavaroni
- Sonoma Coast SP: Patricia Ross, Ronald Ross,
- Sonoma Mendocino Coast District, Russian River Sector: Duane Nibblett, Ursula Nibblett, Bud Veliquette
- South Yuba River SP: Ardie Obert
- Sutter’s Fort SHP: Howdy Hoover, Lee Shebloski, David Stare, Carol Toyama
- Trione-Annadel SP: Brian Curtis, Lorie Florence, Mark Florence
- Wilder Ranch SP: Allan B. Allen, Breta Holgers, Ken Sievers
While volunteers are most often presented with these awards at their park or district’s volunteer recognition events, volunteers can be nominated at any time, by any Department employee. To nominate a volunteer, send a completed and signed nomination form (DPR 208I [Medallion Award Nomination] or DPR 208J [Poppy Award Nomination]) to Rachel Young, Volunteers in Park Program Specialist at Rachel.Young@parks.ca.gov.